Saturday, October 6, 2012

Shawarma turns villain again

Two months after it first struck, shawarma has turned villain once again. A Plus One student who reportedly consumed shawarma from an eatery on Kozhikode Railway Station Link Road has been admitted to a hospital at Changanassery, in critical condition. The licence of the restaurant has been cancelled after seizing stale food items in a raid conducted by the Food and Safety officials. According to the Food and Safety officials, a student of Silver Hills High School and native of Kovoor, Aadhil Mohammed, 16, bought shawarma from Hot Buns Arabian Restaurant on his way to Changanassery on Friday, to participate in an interschool basketball tournament. He consumed shawarma during his journey in train at around 7 pm.
Aadhil was admitted to a private hospital in Changanassery, after he felt uneasiness and started vomiting. Later, it was found that the he was affected by food poison through the shawarma he had consumed.
Subsequently, Food and Safety officials reached the restaurant and conducted search. Meanwhile, the employees of the eatery allegedly manhandled the officials and mediapersons who arrived at the spot hearing the incident.

AIYF and Yuvamorcha activists held a protest rally in front of the restaurant and a tense situation prevailed in the area.As the protest and raid were on, Kerala Vyapari Vyavasayi Ekopana Samithi asked the shop owners to down the shutters in protest against the raid. Meanwhile, the DYFI activists held a rally urging the owners to open shops.They warned that if the shops were not open then, it would not be allowed to open from the next day onwards. Police officials from Town Police station reached the spot. Later, KVVES called off the stir.Food and Safety officials said that they had received more than three complaints regarding the food items served in the same restaurant in a period of one month. They also informed that they would file a case against the KVVES members who manhandled them when they were on duty at the restaurant. A 21-year-old Hotel Management graduate Sachin Mathew had died in July owing to food poisoning caused by shawarma. The incident resulted in a temporary ban on shawarma

No comments:

Post a Comment